Anaphylactic Shock

  • Eardley Elementary School

Anaphylactic Shock

It takes only 1/5000th of a teaspoon of peanut/nut to send a nut allergic into an Anaphylactic shock.

Anaphylactic shock is when your body’s immune system lashes out against an ‘intruder’. When someone eats a food that they are allergic to their body sees that substance as a threat and begins to work “ overtime” causing symptoms of red itchy eyes, hives, tingling/swelling of the lips/mouth/throat/body, dizziness, difficulty breathing, severs drop in blood pressure, loss of consciousness, heart failure and death.

Some people are so sensitive to their nut allergy, that even the smell or cracking open of a nut can cause a reaction.

Someone who eats a peanut butter sandwich doesn’t only leave peanut butter on their hands and mouth but on everything that they touch afterwards. To prevent contaminating the school (doorknobs, toilet handles, gym equipment and class furnishings etc.) hands and face should be washed well with hot water and soap, teeth brushed. Peanut protein survives on a surface for 6 months unless the surface is washed with hot soapy water.

Take the time to read the labels carefully.

Thank you for helping keeping our children safe.

The City of Ottawa has a handout with peanut-free lunches ideas. [pdf format]